Your hair, your crowning glory, is one of your most easily recognisable features and plays an important role in enhancing your look. But it does require a great deal of care to ensure it stays that way.
Damaging your hair, whether it be from shedding or breakage, or even simply because your hair is brittle, can happen due to lack of moisture, heat styling or blow drying your hair and even, tying your hair up in a towel post-shower.
The entire process of getting and maintaining (mane-taining!) your gorgeous locks revolves around taking steps to stop hair breakage as much as you can. What this means, in the real world, is simply that you need to adopt certain habits like – trimming your hair on a regular basis (not a full cut, simply a trim), massaging your hair and scalp with oil regularly, using a hydrating conditioner to ensure that your hair is well moisturized, and discarding certain habits like – blow-drying/ironing hair daily, combing hair when wet, washing hair every day.
A little care and a little effort are all you need to prevent hair breakage and keep your hair tangle-free.
Hair Fall Reasons You Should Know About
Hair loss can be blamed on our genes, the continuous trauma we put our hair through (styling, colouring, etc.) and so much more.
The major reasons behind hair fall are genetics, stress, crash diets, scalp Inflammation and hormonal changes. This is not to say that these are the only reasons for hair loss.
Some of the other factors that could be held responsible for hair loss are – certain hairstyles that include tying your hair too tight, advancing age, high levels of stress, significant weight loss and conditions like diabetes and lupus.
If you have mild hair fall, it is better to opt for natural alternatives that are completely safe for your scalp and skin.
A few alternatives to try are –
1. Aloe Vera Hair Mask –Aloe to the rescue! (Pretty much every single time!). Aloe improves your scalp’s health, promotes hair growth while also acting as an effective home remedy for hair loss.
How to use – Extract the pulp of the plant and apply it directly to the scalp and the length of your tresses. Keep it on for about 45 minutes before rinsing it with cold water.
2. Egg Hair Mask – Yes, yes, we know. The smell is murder. But! Once you get used to it, what’s left of your path to thicker locks is pretty smooth. Eggs are an excellent at-home hair loss treatment, being rich in sulphur, phosphorous and protein.
How to use – Mix one egg white with a teaspoon of Olive Oil and Honey and apply the paste from root to tips. Rinse after 20 minutes with a mild shampoo.
3. Coconut Hair Spa – The proteins in Coconut Milk rapidly promote hair growth! There, that’s your dose of new general knowledge for the day. Now all you gotta do is put it to use.
How to use – Apply fresh Coconut Milk to your scalp, ideally with the help of a brush. Keep your head covered with a towel for 20 minutes and then rinse off with water.
4. Green Tea Rinse – Yes, that’s right, the cup of Green Tea that wakes you up every morning can also revive your dead locks.
How to use – Steep two to three teabags in two cups of hot water. Cool this concoction (remember this, a burned scalp is no fun.) and pour over your hair and scalp while gently massaging at the roots, before rinsing off with water.
5. Amla Hair Pack – Amla or the Indian Gooseberry, is rich in Vitamin C and hence strengthens hair follicles like nobody’s business and also prevents premature greying.
How to use – Mix a paste of Amla powder and Lime juice and apply it on your scalp. Avoid the mask from drying by covering your head with a shower cap and then wash it as usal.
6. Fenugreek Hair Mask – A paste of Methi seeds plastered onto your scalp isn’t our idea of fun either, but it is one of the best solutions for hair loss.
How to use – Soak them in water overnight, grind them to a paste the next morning, and apply it to your hair and scalp.
Now, all of these treatments may work for you or only some may. Experiment a little and see what works out best for you!